Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cause ya got to have frenndddsss

My friends are my estate."
- Emily Dickinson
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis
I think that those quotes are beautiful, but they are so not me.  Anyone that knows me will tell you those “type” of statement, those heartfelt bring on the emotion type of statements….Just Not me…
Now… THIS is me.

yep – this is me too..
and yep – you guessed it…this is me too.  (This one is truly for my friend Fred.  This is so totally him that it's ridiculous.  He is know as Fireman Fred or my BFF)

But my twisted sense of humor and my inability to be all mushy isn’t what I was really wanting to write about today.  I’ve really been thinking about my friends recently.  How blessed I am (ok, slightly mushy).  How different they are.  How each one is “just perfect” and each one gives me something that I think makes me a better woman.  Does that make sense?  Is that how it’s suppose to work?  Didn’t someone say that real friends are friends no matter the time in between visits or chats?  I think that’s one of my favorite things about a couple of my friends….one in Greensboro, one in Hilton Head, and one in Charlotte.  I said it before, it’s like the comfortable sweatshirt…(Mushy again? – NO, I just compared my friends to an old sweatshirt, that’s NOT mushy.)
One of my friends talks me down off a ledge, a lot.  On big issues (like a baby in the NICU) and then stupid issues (like soccer).  she gets my twisted humor, and tells me I’m twisted.   We like to laugh and talk – and make stupid comments that no one else would understand.  Like “it’s raining and I just washed my hair”.  No one else understands that is a major deal….she’s not high maintenance.  Out of the two of us, she is the nice one. Our hubby’s are friends too, so it makes it very easy to all be together. 
One of my friends is so calm and reassuring.  Her kids are a smudge older and she has done an amazing job with them.  I look to her as such an incredible role model and mom.  She’s very grounded and a no muss kind of gal.  She is very smart and works her butt off……I love watching her with her kids….and I know her kids love her and being with her….because even in high school they wanted to hang out with us.
One of my friends has the biggest heart of anyone I know.  She remembers everything….she is an incredible mother and even if tough circumstances has the best outlook and just rolls with “it”.  She’s silly and so very genuine.  She is such a detail person and makes ya think and see all sides of things…..

Another friend has a kind gentle spirit and a heart of gold.  We get each other into situations that often make us say “WHY did we say yes to this” but even when we’re knee deep in paper, glue, paint or fabric – it’s fun and I laugh.  She is truly a “good” person and can see thru mud and much and make any situation bearable.  She is so opposite me….I cannot imagine her not being in my life.
I have one friend who I can look at and she’ll grin and say “I know”.  She is super smart too.  And very calming.  She has some hysterical stories and things happen to her and still…..just calm…she is very rational and is a great listener. She’s another one that is really good at seeing things from several different sides….and she doesn’t judge….She is an incredible mother and her kids are good kids……
One of my other girl friends is a lot younger.  You are, you know it.  I get to be the “older sister” to her and would fight to the ends of the earth for her and her awesome family.  She is also such an incredible mom – and she has 2 little ones – so with our Bubba- I need guidance and inspiration from her.  She is very organic and I love to tease her and call her a granola.  I wouldn’t change a thing about her.  It’s her – ya know?  Her heart is good.  She’s another no muss kind of gal. 
I have friends that are sooo different from me and from each other. 
HOWEVER in all the differences these incredible people have something in common. 
ME Winking smile  haha.  And putting up with me puts all of them in a special group.
And while the wording here is a tad harsh ….it is so VERY me.  (Quiet Mom, I know I talk like a sailor.)

Right now, all I can think of is the Golden Girls song…
Thank you for being a friend. 

No comments: