Thursday, July 10, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Daddy!

Today is my dad's birthday! He is 62! I think I heard somewhere that 60 is the new 50, and no, I didn't hear it from my dad. My dad & mom don't look "old". While dad's hair is a little thinner, and mom's is grey (gorgeous long grey hair), they are in great shape. Seriously! Mom is skinny and looks amazing in clothes and dad is thin and fit and still doing his sit ups in the morning. He does something like 300 sit ups, yeah, just like me. Stop laughing.
Dad has been doing his little sit up routine for, I don't know, 25ish years. Swear! Here is the funny part, HE HAS KEPT CHARTS/RECORDS of his sit up routine. Every day, he weighs himself, records that, and then does his sit ups. Not sure what part of the sit up routine he records, but he does. He has kept these records "FOREVER". (Again, Sandlot Forever people!)
8 Years ago, dad had kidney cancer, and had to have part of a kidney removed, the doctor that did the surgery said that most people, maybe have one layer of good muscle to cut through. My dad, all his layers were muscle. He said he just couldn't believe it. Mom & I told the Dr how goofy dad was about his sit ups.
Now, dad's little issue with sit ups isn't driven by the fact that at 62 he wants to walk around with 6 pack abs. He is afraid of becoming all hunched over, LIKE AN OLD MAN!! SUPPOSEDLY, if your stomach muscles are strong, that helps your back. That is where his kookie-ness comes from, he doesn't want to be known as the "Hunchback of the Lane."
Happy Birthday DAD!!!!

No comments: